Thursday, November 6, 2008

A little behind


There have been so many things in the last week or so that I have wanted to write about, but time just kept getting away from me. (Geez, I really sound like my mother....) Anyway, here is a condensed version of the randomness I wanted to write about (in no particular order)
1. Facebook - I recently caved to societal pressure and became part of this crazy internet community. I have mixed feelings about facebook (and other things like it). On the one hand, I think it is just contributing to our society's inability to actually communicate with other humans. Instead of calling or writing our friends, we "stalk" them on the internet to interpret how their lives are going through cryptic status updates and pictures. At least with blogs, the writer takes some time to put something real out there - something more than "Suellen is not sure how she feels about facebook." Additionally, I think it adds to the ridiculous amount of time that we waste on the computer. I am just as guilty as anyone else, but I feel like there are generally better things I could be doing with my life. On the other hand, it is interesting (at least at first) to find old friends that you haven't talked to in years and "stalk" them. Most of the people I am "friends" with haven't communicated with me or vice versa. We just look at each other's pages and think "Oh, she's gotten fat." or "Wow, that doesn't even look like him." So, I guess the jury is still out for me on this. Don't get me wrong - I waste tons of time on it (particularly at 2am when I am pumping), but I'm not sure I really want to.
2. Eyelashes - I'm not really sure when Parker got eyelashes, but lately I've been noticing them. It's weird. Where were they before? Were they just jammed in her eyes? Geez. That had to hurt.
3. My stupid job - When I decided that I would go back to work, the plan as presented to me by the powers that be was that I would do some bizarre, semi made up job from January until May and then have my own elementary band VH-1 program in the fall. I was told that I would not be returning to my old job. They hired a new person who was supposed to be taking the program in a completely different direction (per the superintendent who knows nothing about music or my kids) and he is. Then, last week I receive a phone call saying that they are going to put me back in my old job and move this other guy somewhere else. He wants to do this because of all the elementary school closings for next year. He wants to retain me in the district and high school band directors are like football coaches. They aren't going to get the axe - but elementary music teachers are sure to go. I think that it's nice of him to protect my job, but I do NOT want to return. Additionally, he said that we should make the program into a small ensemble program with no marching band based on the current scheduling. I am all for this, but the kids just spent all fall doing marching intensive things with this other guy because the "new direction" was toward a drum and bugle corp (which was ridiculous, but that's not the point). So, what am I going to do? Just go in there and pretend first semester didn't happen? Plus, there have been so many changes at my school that I basically ignored in the fall - because I thought I wouldn't be returning and because I was in so much pain and focused on the baby for the 2 weeks that I was there. I would be completely lost just showing up on January 5th. Nothing is official yet because I did express these concerns, but I have no idea where else they are going to put me that is "secure" for next year. I feel betrayed and almost lied to. I wouldn't have gone back to work if I knew it meant returning to the same job. Maybe in some ways it's good because if we are to get the things we want (new house, baby #2) we need my salary and if I'd known about this I wouldn't have gone back. Sigh.
Abrupt ending - Parker just woke up. More later....maybe

2 comments:

Cathy said...

My first instinct to reading all that about work business is: Who says you have to go back? If it's not what you agreed to, then pull out. You can always find another job. Keep in mind your sanity is priceless, and like your health, if you don't have it, you have nothing. Then again, I know you have a million and 1 reasons to stay, most of them monetary and involve other goals.
In addition, I totally forgive you for slacking on the blogging, because you always post sweet pictures of Parker, this one being no exception. I too have caved to the Facebook, I should write about that, now if we're downstairs, I'm online. It's a black hole. Just like babies. You forgot to include how RED her eyelashes are, which amazes me too.

Krysten said...

That totally sucks about your job. I know that that's not what you were hoping for by any stretch! I'm now getting to the panicky point about my own job. I have to go back the week of Thanksgiving. That's only 2 more weeks away. I have a hard time leaving Sadie for a few minutes, much less an entire day. I know I need to go back and in some ways I am excited to return, but it's going to be rough. I guess I just feel fortunate that I know what I'm returning to. This really bums me out for you!