Thursday, June 12, 2008

Road Trip

For all my blog stalkers (all three of you) out there, I have decided to get in one last post before I leave for the land of dial-up-internet (aka my mother's house). In a few short hours, Alicia and I will be embarking on what will, no doubt, end up being a ridiculous, exhausting week full of crazy mother antics. However, I am kind of excited....but also a little nervous.

The basic premis of the trip: travel to MI to spend Friday with my youngest sister, family baby shower Saturday, group family time (Happy Father's Day!) Sunday, then leave for Chicago Monday to visit with and help move Alicia's family. (Yes, the pregnant woman and the one with the bad back are helping people with basically no other help move... Don't worry - I won't be stupid and I will do the best I can to keep Alicia on the path of sanity.)

Now, that doesn't sound so bad, right? Have any of you ever actually met my mother???? She is a little crazy. (And it's a good thing she doesn't know this blog exists!) Nothing with her is simple. When we have get togethers, she always does everything at the last second. I believe it was the LATE night (midnight-ish)before my brother's graduation party when we were painting the living room and making a billion pounds of potato salad. (We literally had to pull the furniture away from the walls and tell guests not to touch them because they were still drying!!!!!) She is a procrastinator and I think, secretly, likes the drama of having to pull all nighters because things aren't done. Her house is also VERY messy. Thank heaven for my brother and sister-in-law who graciously agreed to host. (There is some talk of a Sunday brunch at my mom's house.....we are trying to get her to move it to Steven's.....I'll let you know.)

In talking with my sister and sister-in-law it appears that this shower is already on the same page - I'm so excited!

Let's also throw into the mix that Alicia's parents and brother are coming. I am excited and worried about this. My mom and her dad are not always a good mix, plus it's just a little awkward. I think they have only met during one of our many moves. I'm hoping that a cookout will be less stressful than packing a moving truck.

Additionally, I don't particularly like being the center of attention - I know this will come as a shock to some of you who. I guess I don't mind it on my terms, but it's already been weird having people ask me how I am EVERY time they see me. Having a whole afternoon devoted to me, Alicia and the baby might just be uncomfortable. We have never had a shower or any kind or a wedding, so we have never had that kind of attention paid to us and it just makes me a little nervous. I suppose I had better get used to it. (I do love that people want to this for us though!)

So, anyway, I have to go get everything ready for this week long excursion. Wish us luck. I will let you know how it goes when we get back.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Don't lift more than 10-20 pounds, max. I'm serious! You don't want to go into early labor!

Andrea said...

Have fun at your baby shower!

Cathy said...

"Sit down and share the Joy!!!" Sit back, try to relax and find something sweet in the situation. And I'm sure you'll get over your personal modesty, just remember, it's all about the baby. And it evermore shall be. But that's what we wanted right?! Right. They're not staring at you, they're willing your skin aside so they can see the baby....
As crazy as family can be, trust me, it's worth the insanity to see them love your baby, even when they don't love each other, and barely tolerate you, it's worth it when you see your baby smile back at them.

amypfan said...

See, you have more than three blog stalkers.... there were three comments before me! (and Ben is reading over my shoulder) Enjoy the shower and good luck with the family craziness. And rest assured that your cats (and your mail) are doing well. I actually saw BOTH cats today--this has never happened before! Must be because I didn't take the girls with me. :)

Unknown said...

I am sure you had a full schedule, but the next time you are up this way let us know! We would love to see you guys and for you to meet Jack. (And apparently you have more Blog stalkers than you thought...)