Thursday, June 19, 2008

Shower number 1 - check!

We're baaaaack! I really don't think I have ever been so happy to be home. This past week was really just exhausting - good, but exhausting. Here's the play-by-play.

Thursday - drive to Angola, IN to visit with my grandparents and to receive baby gift! (yea!!!!). Not too bad, but man can my grandma talk! Continue driving to MI, where we arrive at my brother's, visit for awhile and go to bed. A pretty easy first day.

Friday - Apparently, there were horrible storms all night - I missed them. My sister gets her last day of school cancelled because of a power outage at the high school- Why did that never happen to me? Anyway, I got my hair cut, ate lunch with my brother, sister and sister-in-law, went shopping (new shoes!), visited with my mom for awhile and then trekked to the Costco and the Kroger with her to buy food for the shower. I love my mom, but the woman has the ability to just wander through grocery stores for hours, whereas I want to get in and out as quickly as humanly possible. We went without a list........3 hours later, we return to my parent's house. Soon the rest of my fam arrives (yea!) and we all hang out and eat pizza for a little then part ways for the "evening" (or my mother's version of evening which begins at 9:30pm). We return to Steven and Kimber's with Stacy. All members of my family prepare various shower things long into the night. (I believe that my mom and sister went to Meijer at 2am.) We go to bed at 11:00.

Saturday (Or as Kimber put it "Happy Baby Day!) - We were actually able to get up and enjoy a leisurely morning until we got kicked out around 11am. We went to Home Depot to get a Father's Day gift for Alicia's dad and then to the Bagels and Bites which Alicia LOVES!!!!!! Then we hang out at my parent's house while everyone is running around being crazy. We decide to play video games - Hey! It's our shower!!!!! We are then allowed to return to Steven and Kimber's for the shower.

Here's the part where I say that I sometimes doubt my family, but they pulled it off!!!!! There were balloons and a cake and cute little frogs and flowers and it was just awesome!!!! I love my family (crazy as they are!) The shower was great. The weather was perfect and the baby received a ridiculous number of gifts. A good time was had by all. Everyone leaves and we stay up past midnight playing games.

Sunday (Happy Father's Day!) - Alicia gets up to go to church with her family, I run to pick up food for brunch. We all "brunch" at Steven and Kimber's (can I say thanks again for giving us your house all weekend?). Alicia's parents depart leaving her brother who want to stay so that he can play games with us! :) My family celebrates Father's Day, Sally's birthday and my parents anniversary with cards and gifts. Stu and Lauren leave to return to Indy. :( The rest of us (all 9 of us) trek to the Home Depot to help my parents (or really my mom) pick out a faucet as part of their anniversary present. We find nothing at the Home Depot. 5 members of the party get bored (and hungry) and leave us to go buy food for dinner. My parents, Stacy and I go to Lowes where we find an acceptable faucet!!!!! YEA!!!! We return to Steven and Kimber's, Kimber's parents arrive - we eat. I get a yukky headache. My parents, Sally and Stacy leave. :( I take a huge nap. My parents and Sally return. :) (Stacy has begun her return trip to OH.) There is much gaming. I try to participate, but feel sick, so I sleep on the couch for awhile. I think I got in a game around midnight before dragging myself off to bed.

Monday- get up and pack the car!!! HA!!!!!! Too much baby booty. We are taking Sally back to my parents' and Eric back to IL, so we can't use the back seat very well. It's a little......tight. :) We manage. Drop Sal off at my parents'. Say goodbye. One last stop at the Bagels and Bites and hit the road for Chicago!!!!! Drive.....Drive......Drive......Drive.... Arrive in South Holland. Eat. Begin crazy packing as the movers come tomorrow and there are 2 boxes packed. Pack, see new house, eat, pack, pack, pack. SLEEP!!!!!!

Tuesday (Moving day) - get up too early, disassemble all beds, sit around and wait for movers. Alicia, her mom and I go to the new house to put back furniture that was purchased with the house and moved for carpet cleaning. I mostly supervise. Run to go get some lunch. Switch houses. I go back to the old house with Alicia's mom to continue packing....pack, pack, pack... Oh - we are out of boxes and newspaper. I guess we are done packing!!!! Drive boxes to new house. Unload boxes, order dinner!!!! YEA!!!!! Eat. There is much obnoxiousness on the intercom system and discussion about the placement of small tables. This continues late into the night. I am completely wiped out and fall asleep.

Wednesday - Get up too early (my own fault because I couldn't sleep), go out to buy a new mop and some flowers for Alicia's mom. Upon return I clean many pieces of glass in various curios and hutches while the rest unpack the kitchen and put the treasured items in aforementioned curios. Alicia's dad returns with her Grandma Mary who gets an extensive tour of the house. I sit in a chair. We all go to eat. Upon return, Alicia and I leave for home. There is the world's largest accident involving beer all over the expressway. The drive takes much longer than expected. We finally get to Brownsburg. But, wait! We have forgotten that they have blown up every road in B-burg and we can't get anywhere. We decide to get Dairy Queen since we have to drive past anyway. I enjoy my Dairy Queen on the way home. Once home, I begin to feel very sick. I do not enjoy my Dairy Queen (or my lunch) on its "return trip." Since I am sick I fall asleep on the couch, leaving Alicia to bring in all the baby stuff. (Have I mentioned she is great?) I finally wake up, we go through and sort of put away the baby stuff and, finally, go to bed.

Whew! Once we figure out our new camera (hopefully tonight) I can post some pictures.

4 comments:

amypfan said...

Beer on the expressway? Nice.

Sounds like quite the weekend! We promise a relaxing dinner tonight. :)

Krysten said...

So my dad and your mom should definitely get together to go shopping. My dad is the master at spending hours and hours at the grocery store. He insists upon reading every label to check fiber content and price checking everything down the the milli-cent! If they went in to a store together it could be DAYS before they were seen again! :)

I'm glad to hear that the shower went well. I've been working with my mom on getting the details down for our shower here next weekend. I'm super excited about this one game that I found - "My Water Broke." We bought all of these mini plastic babies. You freeze them inside of ice cubes and then each guest gets a drink with a mini baby inside. The first guest whose baby "escapes" their ice cube then yells "My water broke!" I can't tell you why I find this so terribly amusing, but every time I think about it I laugh for a good 5 minutes! :)

On a final questioning note, where did Al's parents move to? I am honestly a bit surprised to hear that they moved, even knowing their neighborhood was not quite what it used to be. I am glad that everything seemed to go smoothly, though.

Have you taken your glucose test yet? Any other ultrasounds coming up?

Suellen said...

Krysten - Yes, completely shocking that Alicia's parents moved. They moved to St. John, IN which is about 15 miles away from where they were. I'm surprised they agreed on a house!

I don't think we will have any more ultrasounds since we sort of had to beg for the first one, but my glucose test is Tuesday. Ugh. Not looking forward to that!

Cathy said...

Beer on the highway, did anyone get "samples"? Glad everyone behaved, and spoiled you as you deserve to be spoiled.