Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Childbirth class - the boring version

So,  I guess now you get my version of our childbirth class last night.  Let me say, that I am not nearly as good with the written word as Alicia, so this will not be the side-splitting entry, as hers was.  

Yes, our instructor is super old woman who enjoys talking about sex, which was generally uncomfortable for all and super weird for us in light of the way we got pregnant.  However, I did find this crazy instructor a little comforting in that I sort of felt the whole class was bonded against her in thinking that she was a complete nut-job.  

I was also pleased to discover that the class would not be the type of class in which we are quizzed on things.  Those type of classes generally make me uncomfortable because, even though I often know the answer, I hate being the person that answers and I often find myself in class with people who are either completely stupid or doing the same thing.  So, I guess the fact that crazy Jane doesn't like silence is a good thing in that regard.

Additionally, I was very happy that we made it through introductions without getting lynched.  Saying, "I'm Suellen. This is my partner Alicia and this is our first baby," in central Indiana can often lead to a lynching.  I'm not saying we were the most popular people in the class or that everyone was lining up to talk to us during break (well, other than crazy Jane), but no one avoided us or made snide comments.  I'm not really sure why I have a fear that something horrible will happen because it never has, but it's always a real fear that I have.

And lastly, I was surprised with how nice the inside of the hospital is.  We have not yet been anywhere where actual hospital-y things happen, but the lobby did have a self-playing baby grand piano, which after having been to the 5 star hotel that is Clarian North, is how I judge how nice a hospital is!  (I'm mostly just kidding with this....mostly!)

So, I suppose we survived the first week.  It wasn't too painful and went by fairly quickly.  I'm pretty much just in this right now for the hospital tour in 2 weeks. Generally, logistical questions are the one that worry me.  So, hopefully, that will all get resolved.  Once settled, I trust the doctor and nurses (and drugs) to get me through the actual birth.  It's certainly not going to be crazy Jane!

3 comments:

Krysten said...

I'm very glad to hear that people were not jerks to you. I had that fear for you as well, so I guess it's good to know that people are able to be open-minded and happy that your baby will have 2 parents to love it no matter what sex the parents are.

So where are you actually having the baby? I guess I've never actually asked you that. I am so, so, so excited to see you! I wish we were leaving right now, but then we'd miss our breast feeding class tonight and I'd hate to have Adam miss that experience! I'm sure it will bring about more stories!

Cathy said...

My family says, Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. But this Jane sounds like quite the character, but it least it's a good group, I like how you all instantly bonded against the crazy woman. Indeed, where are you taking this class?

amypfan said...

I'm glad that no one made a big deal, not that they should. I'm tempted to come sit in on this class myself, just because I'm so curious about Jane!!