Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's official!

YEA!!!!!!!  Parker officially has two mommies.  Our adoption hearing went really well.  We got there ridiculously early because we are like that and the City-County Building downtown is a little crazy and we wanted to make sure that we could find parking and navigate Parker and all her junk to the proper place.  

We arrive on the proper floor which is, thankfully, much less chaotic than the ground floor and wait in the lobby of our hearing room.  Some crazy lady from a nearby office comes out and coos over our baby and then comments on how much she looks like Alicia.  I LOVED it! :)

Our lawyer arrived and prepped us for the questions that she would ask.  None were hard - just things like name, address, relationship to me (or my relationship to Parker), how long we have been together, did we plan for the child together, with whom does Parker live now, etc.

We were first on the docket with another couple who was adopting their 3rd child.  The hearing room was really small and the judge, thankfully, was really nice.  We were worried because the judge who was so well known for just moving these kinds of cases through died YESTERDAY.  Seriously?  Yesterday?  Anyway, the new judge was fine and plenty nice.  We answered our questions - he didn't have any and then he signed the paperwork right there.

We waited while our lawyer got the paperwork stamped and we left.  It was pretty awesome.  Oh- and we will get a new birth certificate with Alicia's name on it!  We are pumped about that.  We didn't think that could happen in Indiana.  AWESOME!  So, all in all, a really great day.

7 comments:

Moonwatcher said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krysten said...

Well, not that I haven't been emotional as of late anyways, but I was crying by the time I got to the bottom of the post. I'm so excited for all three of you! It sounds like the "final deed" went so smoothly and that's just the way it should go. I guess all Indiana needed was to go Blue for one election and they could get their whole act together! :)

Lauren said...

I'm so glad things went smoothly for you!

Congratulations, Mamas!

Carrie said...

Congratulations!

Cathy said...

I'm so happy (and relieved) for you. You deserve to relish all of this Joy for a nice long time.

Kristin Kahl said...

Hooray! Next to Parker's birth day, I'm guessing that was just the best day ever for you two. Congrats!! She's such a lucky girl...

amypfan said...

Hooray for Mommy S and Mommy A, or Mom and Mommy, or whatever it is that she's going to call you. :) I'm glad I was on hand to hear this news in person, because I was biting my nails for you the whole time you were there. YAY!!!