Sunday, August 24, 2008

OW!!!!!!!!

If labor is worse than this, I seriously think that I am going to die.

I thought these pills would make it better.  Here are the problems.  
1) They do an okay job, but the pain still comes full force if I move around.  
2) I can't take them at school because they make me REALLY drowsy and fairly out of it.  So, basically, they are helping me sleep, but that's about it.

Here are the things that make my back hurt: 
 1) nothing, sometimes it's just a random horrible pain provoked by nothing.  This happens about once an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less.  
2) Driving.  This is the single most painful thing I can do right now.  
3) Walking, particularly up ramps or stairs, or moving with any amount of speed at all.  
4) Bending or heaven forbid, kneeling. 
5) Sitting in chairs where my legs can't be spread apart so that there is room for my stomach, also prohibiting me from leaning forward slightly (basically any chair with arms) 
6) Standing for a period longer than about 5 minutes

Here is what I have to do in my job: 
 1) Drive 30 minutes to work  
2) Walk to the building (which is farther away now that I get there later and can't get a close parking space) 
3) Walk (okay, really waddle) to the office to sign in. 
4) Begin office type work in a seriously non-ergonomic space.  My chair is about a million years old with arms and no rollers.  My "office" is really a workroom with countertops and no desks.  So, my laptop sits on the counter, I sit in the low, uncomfortable chair and try to not think about the horrifying pain in my back from the driving and the walking 
4) Teach - sit, stand, walk to board, move quickly between workroom and classroom as many children forget things like their cubby numbers, reeds etc - repeat multiple times for multiple children.  Walk around the tiered room trying to individually assess children.  Break into sectionals and try to get children to play instruments for the first time. Lots of bending over, walking and individual manipulation of the instrument in their mouths.  
5) More secretarial things - ie - making copies, cutting music and placing in folders (all while standing since I feel it's unsafe to use a paper cutter that is above your head!)
6) More teaching
7) Lunch (or rather, more typing etc while attempting to eat lunch).  My 'colleague' leaves because he needs time to "refuel and am I going to have that music copied by this afternoon?"
8) more teaching
9) Drive home, pretty much crying all the way because I have never been in so much pain - ever.  (I know, just wait until labor - but then I can have really good drugs, right?)

I really am trying to not be a wimp, but I don't feel like if this back pain is going to continue in this manner (and based on this weekend, I don't think it's getting any better), that I can keep working.  I'm not doing a good job with the kids and it's really, really, really painful.  The last time I saw the doctor, she prescribed the meds; I presumed things would get better.  She still has me working until Sept. 17th.  That is not going to work for me, but I'm not sure I can get her to change it.  I want out NOW!  I don't think I'm going to work on Monday and I'm going to call the doctor.  We'll see what happens.  I start physical therapy on Wednesday, but that's still 3 days of work away.  I just can't do it.

Enough complaining.  But those of you who believe in the 'think system' can start using it at anytime to get this moosette (she is a girl) out of me!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Aw you poor thing. :( Call your doctor and make sure that she really truly understands how much pain you are in! Don't leave until you have a plan for how to make the pain go away and what they are going to do if it doesn't do away. Soon all this will be a distant memory and you will be holding baby Parker!

Carrie said...

I know this sucks! I HATED the last few weeks. I was seriously an elephant and shoes didn't fit. It was the most misery I'd ever been in. Maybe your doctor truly doesn't understand how bad it is, and all your job entails. If you are crying, there is still a definite problem!

Stephen said...

I feel like a stalker, but I was so excited to "find" you that I wanted to say hi.

I was even more excited to hear that you guys are having a baby, but I am sorry that you are in so much pain.

I'll be thinking about you and anxiously anticipating some updates!!

Kathy said...

I hope you feel better :/ Def talk to your doctor! Thinking of you!