Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Things that are - in combination- making (or about to be making) my life crazy and stressful

In no particular order...

1) Primary grade program - Normally, the end of the year program would be all the grades combined, but that can't happen this year for a number of reasons. So, instead of picking three songs for the kids to sing, each grade group that I teach has to put on their own program of respectable length. I'm just sort of stuck and currently stressed about it.

2) Kindergarten program - See above thoughts, but add in 5 year olds. Awesome.

3) Parker - In some ways she is so easy now. In others, she is definitely keeping me on my toes. She's into everything, eating cat food, choking on hair ties, deciding to want to use the potty when it's convenient for her (and not for me) You know, toddler things!

4) Pep Band - ongoing occasional evening commitment that I like to stress about

5) Musical - soon to be starting nightly commitment that will consume my life from Feb-May

6) Graduate class #1 - it's hard to read (and comprehend) deep thoughts regarding cognitive psychological theories when you begin at 10pm after completing several of the above activities. I'm only in the first week, so I have no idea what it's really going to be like but there are 2 fatty books that I know I'm going to have to get through between now and the end of the semester, not to mention the work that goes with it.

7) Graduate class #2 - Right now I can't keep one class straight from the other

8) Our house - for sale, dirty, not getting many showings, stressed that no one will buy it, stressed that someone will buy it and we won't find something we like, stressed that someone will buy it and we will have to move in the thick of all the above activities

9) Money - we don't have any.

10) Lack of sleep - When I'm busy, I can't turn my brain off. Terrific.

11) My own insecurities - regarding my dirty house, being in school again for the first time in FOREVER, my ability to juggle and manage everything I've signed up for

12) My job - getting easier, but I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing and lesson plans take more time than they should (although they take less time than in August)

13) My job next year - I don't know what it is or where it is or how to go about figuring all that out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey friend...just as a point of encouragement, I felt very blessed today to be job sharing with you. Your primary lessons are SPOT ON and I have been thinking that I need to store them away to use them on a rotating basis. They completely rock and the kids have learned (and retained) more from you this year regarding theory than I can recall as a success in my 5 years teaching them.

And don't stress about the primary program, I'll take care of it. :)n It'll take me an hour to lesson plan the month prior, so no worries.

peace.

Cristina Dolcetti said...

I just read your last entry. I have taught preschool aged children myself, and find that they work so well with songs that have so much repitition to them. At the end of camp, one week, I heard a three year old nearly getting right "Dry Bones" (or I called it "Dino Bones"). I remember also seeing kids dancing to "Shoo Fly Pie" and making simple dance moves.

As for jobs, I recommend the website indeed.com for any industry.